Since having kids, I have definitely jumped on the more natural pest control bandwagon. I know that sometimes desperate times call for desperate measures, and DEET must be used. However, when it is at all possible to avoid it, I do. If I have to use DEET, I will spray it on their clothing. I thought it might be helpful for my readers to share some of the natural mosquito control remedies we like to use in our household, and I would love to hear methods you use!
- In the evenings, make sure your little ones are covered up as much as possible. I know this is kind of common sense, but you know what? It works! 🙂 I will have them put on pants and a long sleeve shirt if temps allow.
- Use mosquito netting for strollers and play yards. We got a mosquito net for our Quinny Buzz, and it was the BEST investment for summer time strolling, especially if you need to walk your baby outside to settle him/her down.
- Use products that contain natural plant-based oils that repel mosquitoes and other pests. We recently tried the Stinger Mosquito Repellent Lantern and LOVE it! It has a fan-dispersed repellent pad and is safe for kids and pets. I like that it’s attractive looking for the table and has a light (blue LED) too! It runs on 4 AA batteries (included). You can visit the Stinger website or purchase on Amazon. 🙂
- Make sure you don’t have any areas of standing water. Standing water is prime breeding grounds for mosquitos!
- If you have a garden or flower beds, plant marigolds! Flying insects are deterred by the scent of marigolds, plus they look nice!
- Install bat houses— yes, houses for bats! Bats can eat up to 500-1,000 mosquitos each night!
Do you have any natural mosquito control methods to share?
30 Something Mother Runner received a Stinger Mosquito Repellent Lantern. All opinions and writing are 100% my own.
Leave a Reply