Skiing is such a fun sport to do as a family, but it can be very expensive when you add in the cost of travel, lift tickets, food, lodging, lessons and rentals. There are definitely ways that you can save money on a family ski trip though, and here are a few of our favorites. Putting these tips in place will help you save money AND get your family on the slopes!
- Look for packages that combine lift tickets and lodging. You can often save a decent amount of money purchasing as a package.
- Go Mid-week. I prefer to ski mid-week, since you don’t have to deal with crowded lift lines and trails. The other bonus is that EVERYTHING is cheaper mid-week, including the lift tickets!
- Split a VRBO or Air BnB with another family. Staying in a home or condo allows you to share the lodging costs and save money by cooking meals at home.
- Lease the kids’ skis for the season. Kids can grow very fast, and leasing packages for kids’ skis are great because you can return at any time to size up for boots or skis. If you are going to go skiing on at least a few occasions, it will likely be cheaper than renting. Getting them before you go can also save money versus renting at the slope.
- Check out early booking deals at the beginning of the ski season. Ski destinations often offer early booking discounts as soon as fall arrives. You can snag some great deals by committing early– the only downside would be if there isn’t much snow that year, but the reward can definitely be worth the risk!
- Check out Liftopia for lift ticket discounts. Liftopia is a website that allows you to search for ski mountains by state, date of visit and length of visit. It will then provide you with discounted lift tickets, if you purchase in advance.
- Bring your own lunch and snacks to the mountain. One of the biggest gripes at the mountain is the cost of lunch when you eat in the lodge. You can often get a healthier lunch if you make it at home, and you can also save a TON of money– especially if you’re feeding a family! The same goes for snacks– pack your bag full of healthy snacks, water and some juice boxes.