I’m not gong to lie–it’s been a little stressful around here lately with 3 birthday parties, sports, end of school activities, etc. Sometimes a nice cold glass of Chardonnay or a crisp summer cocktail is just what the doctor ordered. 🙂 In honor of the recent Memorial Day and unofficial start of summer, here is a list of my favorite summer cocktails. Get inspired for cocktail hour tonight!
- G&T— A gin and tonic is the quintessential summer cocktail. Mention a G&T, and I can instantly see myself lounging on the porch enjoying a cold one. 🙂 The key to the perfect gin and tonic is a high quality gin. My favorite is Hendricks, but Bombay Sapphire is fine too.
- Planters Punch— This cocktail was popular in the 70s (a favorite of my mom’s when she was younger). When I was in my twenties, I tried it out for the first time and LOVED it! You make it in a tall glass and you can even add a cute little umbrella and cherry on top! You will find Planters Punch made different ways in different parts of the country and by different bar tenders, but I love this recipe.
- 007— A refreshing mix of Stolichnaya orange vodka (0), orange juice (o) and 7Up (7), this is great drink to have with a summer brunch (especially if you had a rough night!) or lunch.
- Sangria— Sangria is a mix of red (or white) wine, brandy, orange liqueur, club soda, and fresh fruit like oranges and apples. It’s best made and served in a pitcher. Like a soup or stew, it tastes even better if you let it sit overnight to let the flavors really mix together.
- Margarita– Frozen or on the rocks, salt or no salt, a good marg can be perfect on a hot summer day. Homemade sour mix is always best, and make sure to use a 100% agave tequila (Sauza Hornitos is a great moderately priced option) Cue the Jimmy Buffett tunes, and you’ll be feeling fine in no time…
What’s your go-to summer cocktail?