This post is a sponsored post on behalf of al Fresco.
Spring is SUCH a busy time of year in our household with end-of-the-year activities, birthdays, sports practices and games! Weeknights can be challenging when it comes to meal planning and feeding the family on a tight schedule, so I always fall back on some of my tried and true meal planning staples. I am happy to share one of our go-to weeknight meals— Chicken Apple Sausage Flatbreads!
Flatbreads are a regular on our meal plan because they require minimal prep and all 3 boys (and the parents) love them! You can prep the ingredients or the whole flatbread ahead of time, so all you need to do is pop it in the oven and serve. Does it get any easier?! There are so many different variations you can do with flatbreads depending on your protein, sauce, veggies and other toppings– making them a great choice for the picky eaters in your family. You can even get the kids involved and let them help choose the toppings!
One of our family favorite flatbreads features delicious al fresco chicken apple sausage (if you haven’t tried it yet– go get some NOW!). The boys love chicken sausage and the Sweet Apple variety has a great flavor that works so well with this recipe. They are also pre-cooked which means less prep time and not worrying about checking meat temps! With 70% less fat than traditional pork sausage, they are also a healthier option for dinner time.
When I make flatbreads, I use store-bought naan bread to save time, but if you prefer making your own dough or using prepared pizza dough, that works fine too— just allow more time for prepping this pizza! I use white alfredo sauce for the base (I use store-bought) and then top it with browned sausage slices, caramelized onions, an asiago/parmesan cheese blend, and sliced Fuji apples. To finish it off and add some color, you can garnish with some finely chopped Italian parsley. The chicken apple sausage (flavored with Vermont maple syrup), caramelized onions, and Fuji apples are a great sweet balance to the salty Parmesan/asiago cheese mix!
If you want to prep ahead, I recommend slicing the sausage and onions the night before or morning of as it will make getting this pizza on the table that much faster! If you are really ambitious, you can go ahead and caramelize a batch of onions ahead of time and store them in the fridge. Prepping ahead also makes it easier for you to get the kids involved with putting the pizza together– just portion out the ingredients into small bowls and let them have at it!
Ready to get started making your own Chicken Apple Sausage Flatbread? Here’s how to do it:
- 2 prepared flatbreads
- 4 links of Al Fresco Chicken Apple Sausage
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 cup of shredded asiago cheese
- 1/2 cup of shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 cup of alfredo sauce
- 1 Fuji apple, thinly sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped Italian parsley
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Combine the asiago and parmesan cheese in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat for the caramelized onions.
- Melt 1 tbsp of butter and then add the onion mixture to the skillet and sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- Cook onions for 1-2 minutes until softened and translucent.
- Reduce the heat to low-medium and continue stirring the onions for another 15-20 minutes until they are a nice golden color.
- While the onions are cooking, remove the sausage casing and slice into thin rounds.
- Brown the sausage over medium heat and set aside when done.
- Spray each flatbread with olive oil spray— this prevents the crust from getting soggy!
- Spread 1/2 cup of alfredo sauce on each flatbread, leaving a little space along the edges.
- Evenly spread the sausage between the two flatbreads sprinkle with the cheese mixture.
- Divide the apple slices and caramelized onions between each of the flatbreads.
- Place in the oven for 10-15 minutes (until crust is crispy and the top layer is bubbling).
- Allow the pizza to cool and garnish with finely chopped Italian parsley.
- Serve and enjoy!