Just because the temperatures are dropping and the days are getting shorter doesn’t mean you should forget about protecting your skin from the sun! The following are some great tips from Dr. Elizabeth Hale, Clinical Associate Professor of Dermatology at New York University School of Medicine:
- Shield with shades. UV radiation can damage the eyes and the skin around them, so it is important for runners to wear their sunglasses. To provide the best protection for your eyes, your shades should block out 99 to 100 percent of UVA and UVB rays. Choose wrap-around frames, which stay on better while you train.
- Replenish yourself. Drinking water can help keep your body and skin hydrated, especially if you are sweating. It is essential for runners to pay attention to how much water they are drinking before, during and after outdoor exercise. “I like to apply Coppertone Sport Pro Series with DuraFlex before stepping outside for training. This lightweight formula sprays on easily and helps keep my skin hydrated,” says Dr. Hale.
- Protect every inch. Runners and other outdoor athletes tend to forget to apply sunscreen on all areas of their face and body. The most commonly overlooked areas when applying sunscreen are the scalp, ears and backs of hands. Just remember to bring your sunscreen and reapply every two hours.
- Timing is everything. Schedule your outdoor training when the sun is less intense; avoid exposure between the peak hours of 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. If you do run during that time, choose a route that offers plenty of shade.
- Go safe with your style. Make sure to protect your skin during your run with the appropriate attire. Try wearing lightweight, sun-protective clothing. Also, stay cool with a baseball hat to help shield your face from the sun.
I got a chance to try out the Coppertone Sport Pro on my outdoor training runs. I loved it! It was lightweight, so I didn’t interfere at all with my ability to sweat which is a big plus for me. I also love the top on the bottle (see picture).
One of the things I have disliked about lotions and sprays in the past is the fact that they can sometimes leak in your gym bag. Coppertone Sport Pro with Duraflex has a rotating top that allows you to easily cover the spray opening.
Enter below to win two bottles of the Coppertone Sport Pro to test out for yourself!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Coppertone provided 30 Something Mother Runner with two bottles of Coppertone Sport Pro with Duraflex for this review and giveaway, in addition to the tips from Dr. Hale. As you know, sun protection is a cause that is very close to my heart! 🙂