The frostbite warnings are out this week, and let’s face it– it’s freakin’ COLD! Keeping your hands warm while running in frigid temperatures is no small feat. I have poor circulation in my hands and feet (always have!), so I have to pay attention to keeping them nice and toasty in really cold temps.
Over the years, I have discovered the true value of a quality pair of running gloves or mittens (I prefer a mitten/glove combo) for outdoor running in the winter. I find that mittens allow me to keep my fingers moving and stay close together (better for circulation). If you find yourself in need of a good pair, here are some suggestions:
- Brooks Adapt Gloves II Nightlife–I still have the first generation of these gloves/mittens, and I LOVE them! They are not bulky at all, and you can fold the reflective mitten cover into the top of the gloves. It sounds funny, but you’ll see what I mean when you look at them. They also have a thumb with removable top for use of any touchscreen device.
- Saucony Ulti-Mitt— Similar to the Brooks Adapt II, the Ulti-Mitt has a stashable mitten cover. The mitten cover is made of Vizipro (highly visible fabric) like the Nightlife fabric used in Brooks’ high visibility gear. They have a magnet in the tabs to easily keep the gloves together when not in use. I love that these mittens are crafted specifically for women’s hands! 🙂
- ASICS PR Shelter Gloves— No mittens on these bad boys, but they also have reflective material on the tops for added visibility. They are wind and water resistant (using Thermopolis LT fabric), and they have fingertips that allow you to use touch screens. Additionally, there is a small pocket for storing keys or a GU on the top of the glove (backhand).
- Brooks Pulse Lite Gloves II Nightlife — These gloves are more lightweight– made of waffle mesh. They feature the nightlife fabric for added visibility in darker conditions. The pointer finger on the gloves has a touchscreen friendly tip. I would opt for these on a brisk day, but for bitter cold, I would definitely stick with the Brooks Adapt Gloves II.
- Nathan TransWarmer Convertible Glove/Mitts w/LED 2014— The last in this group is another glove with a protective mitten cover that can be stowed away. The TransWarmers have a LED light and lots of reflective accents. They feature wind resistant fabric to keep your mitts nice and warm!
Saucony Ulti-Mitt, Black, SmallASICS PR Shelter Glove, Black/Berry Stripe, Large/X-LargeASICS PR Shelter Mitt, Black, Small/MediumBrooks Women’s Pulse Lite Reflective Glove (Small, NightLife)Nathan Trans Warmer Convertible Mitt with Light Wave, X-Large